Friday, September 12, 2008

a family that crafts together...

i've noticed that jack and i tend to get on each others nerves a lot lately, and i blame myself . the poor kid is mainly just bored out of his mind so he whines at me to get my attention. he doesn't really like to do anything by himself like play with his millions of toys, or play out back by himself and now he wants me to sit on the couch with him while he watches a show and i was going nuts trying to find ways to get him to entertain himself. then low and behold i was looking at my sister-in-laws blog and she had a blog by this lady with all kinds of crafts and things to do with your preschooler. i'm not normally the craft kind of girl but i was desperate and these crafts actually looked like something i could do and they were super cheap because most of the stuff she used was stuff i already had. so rather then constantly battle jack to get him to do stuff on his own i decided that these crafts would be fun for him and i might actually like doing them too. here is our first attempt.

it was awesome because all i had to do was cut out the stuff and then jack got to help squeeze the glue then he placed the windows, wheels and things and then i let him color it. my son doesn't have much of an attention span so actually getting him to participate in this was awesome.

here is the finished product. nothing fancy but made with love by my jack jack. i picked the school bus because one, it was something he knows really well and sees it everyday at school and two because it was something i could make without messing it up too much.


i truly think jack's favorite part was coloring his hands and feet more then coloring the bus. gotta love washable markers!!

another thing that is probably only exciting for me is that we finally managed to get jack over 30 pounds. i took him to his three year well child check up and found out that he weighs 31 pounds and is 37 and a half inches tall. this is a huge accomplishment because as we all know jack doesn't enjoy eating very much of anything, so 31 pounds is a huge deal for our family. and if i would have listened to jacks dr in utah we would finally be allowed to put jack in a front facing car seat. can you imagine? just so you know i checked with jacks rehab doctor about the car seat thing and they told me jack was strong enough to face forward a long time ago, so i'm not a negligent mother.

oh and by the way the blog that has all the crafts is www.notimeforflashcards.com check it out if you need some ideas. thanks laura for finding it.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Shannyn! How come you moved? Jack and McKay could be entertaining each other and we could be sititng on the couch not playing with three year olds.

McKay is the same way! He has an amazing inability to play by himself. He wants me to play with him constantly and an adult can only take so much three year old play. I hear ya! I go crazy too.

Glad you found something fun to do to break it up. I'll have to check out that blog. Cute bus.

Laura said...

YEAH for her BLOG I love it!!! Don't you just love the way she sings.

val said...

Oh, I can't wait to check out that site, thanks for the tip! Gavin does the same thing...it drives me crazy when he wants me to sit and watch a show with him, and I have laundry to fold, dishes to wash, blogs to check..you know....

Reynolds said...

Great ideas! I can relate to your joy of having a skinny boy finally gaining weight. We're still working on Isaac - making progress thanks to donuts and ice cream which are his two new favorite treats (and pregnant Mom's, too).

Tyler said...

love the website!thanks to shan and laura! i have to damit, jos will totally play by himself, maybe everyone needs to get pregnant fast like me with their second. ha ha ha ha! okay, not realy, but seriously, they are best buds, altho lately theyve been quarreling more, any tips for that?