Monday, August 11, 2008

i'm a big kid now!



today was the day, jack started preschool. we talked to jack about it for several weeks, we taught him his teachers name told him he was a big boy and he had to carry his back pack by himself, he had to listen to the teacher, be nice to the other kids and most of all no whining. i know that last one was wishful thinking but we had to try right.


john decided that he was going to come with me to drop off jack on his first day, we got there early because that is how john rolls and we wait around until the teacher comes to the gate to let the kids in. of course because we got there too early we had to wait around and jack was not very happy about that and of course first thing he does is whine. finally the teacher and the aids come and we sign in our kids and they are suppose to line up and wait for everyone to be signed in then they are off to the play ground. jack was excited about the idea of playing but then he realized that mom and dad weren't coming with him, so he looks around for us and keeps trying to grab for my hand so i will go with him. he whines a little bit but goes over to the play ground with the teacher. one of the aids comes out so i tell her that jack tends to cry when he realizes that we aren't going to be there and then he will often make himself throw up and she says, "oh yours is the one who throws up." i didn't really like the tone of that comment but what can you do, my kid is that kid. i ask her what happens when he does that and she just said we calm him down and then move on. very rarely do they call the parents to come and get them. so with that john and i realized there wasn't much else we could do so we left. as we drove away i look in the play ground and there is little jack standing by the gate crying. it was hard for me to see that and not go over there to comfort him but i stayed strong and let him work it out with his teacher.


two and a half hours later i come back to school to pick him up and there he is right next to his teacher holding onto the gate waiting to be let out. to my surprise he is wearing the same outfit i dropped him off in (meaning he didn't throw up all over himself) there were no tears on his cheeks and no red face signifying that he cried the whole time. what a load off. the teacher did inform me that he did cry off and on but they managed to get him to stop and they said he had a fun time swining on the swings. i asked him in the car if he wanted to go back to school tomorrow and can you believe it, he said yes.


so there you have it, jack is now in school and seems to like it for the most part and i have two and a half hours to myself four days a week. swimming here i come!

7 comments:

Vaknin Family said...

Yay Jack! He looked so handsome for his first day of school. I wish I could send Tyler with him.

val said...

Hooray! I'm so glad it worked out, though I'm sure those couple of hours were killing you, wondering if he was ok. He looks so grown up with his back pack on!

Tyler said...

oh my goodness he is looks absolutely adorably beautiful!!! i love those pics!! im so proud of him and you. that is so hard but it pulled through! wahoo! joseph this last sunday asked me to leave nursery b/c he apparently was not having as much fun as he usually does when im there. sad. but atleast ill have river who will prob die when im not with him when he starts school. :) love ya shan!

Reynolds said...

Those pics are keepers! I think it sounds like a pretty normal first day of school. He'll get the hang of it and won't even stop at the gate one of these days.

Adam and Jenica said...

wow, the little man is growing up so fast. I am so proud of you for driving away. That is so hard. I am sure he will love school. Hope all is going well. Jack looks great.

Adam and Jenica said...

Jack is so cute. He is growing up so fast, Going to school and everything. I am so proud of you shannyn for driving away. I would have a hard time but it is what has to be done. I am sure he will love it.

Sarah said...

what!?! Jack is in preschool? Shannyn- I thought we had at least another year before preschool? Am I slacking? He looks so big in those pictures. He's so cute- I miss that little guy. I have a feeling that he and McKay would play a lot more now if they were together. Oh well.

Still can't believe he's going to school. You're like an old mom with a kid in school! Ahhh!